TAI CHI QUAN
Many couples who are experiencing difficulties getting pregnant have turned to natural fertility methods that involve a more holistic and meditative approach to improving fertility. Among these alternative infertility treatments is Tai Chi – a practice that values tranquility, reflection, and the integration of body, mind, and spirit.
Tai Chi involve slow and graceful movements that focus on concentration and deep breathing techniques. Tai Chi is based around the concept of Chi, a life energy that flows through the body through different pathways, sustaining physical health and calming the mind. Since blocked chi is believed to be a source of illness and disease. Tai Chi aims to improve the flow of energy through the body, thereby improving energy balance and restoring blocked Chi. For couples who are looking to increase their chances of getting pregnant, Tai Chi exercises may just be an ideal treatment to improve natural fertility.
Tai Chi offers a low-impact exercise method based on the key principle of “wu-wei” or the power of “non-action”. In other words, Tai Chi are not forced or subject to a strict regimen, and are instead fluid and meditative.
Some of the common Tai Chi positions and basic Tai Chi movements involve the following:
• deep breathing, relaxation and concentration
• focused attention to relax the mind and body, and cultivate mental alertness
• exercises that strengthen muscles and bones through weight balance of the body
• weight bearing exercises (often balanced on one leg) that improve coordination, balance and control
Benefits of Tai Chi
Today, many practitioners and researchers are finding a variety of health benefits as a result of regular Tai Chi practice. Apart from improving fertility, regular practice of Tai chi exercises has been linked with the following benefits:
• building strength and enhancing muscle tone
• improving circulation
• improving balance, flexibility, and posture
• improving coordination and range of motion
• lowering blood pressure
• reducing levels of stress hormones
• easing arthritis pain and preventing osteoporosis
• increasing relaxation
• increasing energy
• improving concentration
Studies have shown that Tai Chi reduces levels of stress hormones in individuals, making it a great way to relax and prevent additional infertility complications due to stress. In addition, this helps individuals sleep better and relieves any tension or anxiety.